Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Just one of those days

Today was a very stressful day. One of those mini nervous breakdown days. We had a bit of a leak from our fridge and the floor around it was all messed up. So I got a contractor to come look at it today. Well, it's bad and good. The area damaged was fairly large but there's wasn't much mold at least. But he had to take up the floor boards around to let things dry before we replace them. And for that he had to use one of those wacky circular saw thingies. Well, I went upstairs with Liam to nurse him and put him down for a nap while he was working. Liam was not going to sleep because of the horrible noise (regular noise he can handle but that was pretty bad). So I let him play in his crib for a little while and went downstairs to check things out. The fridge was now in the middle of the kitchen and the entire kitchen was covered with a thick layer of saw dust. When he left (leaving the fridge in the middle of the kitchen so that the area could completely dry before he comes back again Friday) and started to assess the situation I just then realized how horrible it really was. The saw dust had gotten every where. And I mean everywhere. It got to the living room, to the study, over everything in the pantry. Over all of Liam's toys, bottles, pacifiers, everything. Pre-Liam this would have been a disaster and I would have complained about all the cleaning that needed to be done. But with Liam it turned into a mega-disaster. Because now I had to keep him happy while I was trying to clean everything up and still maintain his routine and get his stuff done. I had also realized that I hadn't eaten in several hours and I was famished. And being famished and nursing don't go well together. Our babysitter came to our rescue. She was able to come at 2:30 instead of 4. If it weren't for her, I would have ended up in a mental institute with a real nervous breakdown. Seriously. These type of things are stressful enough without having a baby to keep happy and take care of and without the husband being out of town for the week on a business trip. This is also after having not really slept much in two night since Scott left. Well, things are cleaner now but there's still saw dust in all kinds of weird places. We still need to take everything out of the pantry and clean it all out. There's still a fridge in the middle of my freaking kitchen. There's still a need to call the carpet cleaning people and have them come in and thoroughly clean our carpets because Liam like to crawl on the carpet and I'm afraid to let him do so now. Alas, it could have been worse, I know. Why do these things always happen when Scott is gone? Well, Liam got the better end of the deal because of all of this today. He got to watch a lot of DVDs. He got to watch Baby Mozart, and a couple of Israeli baby DVDs. He usually only gets to watch like half of Baby Beethoven once or twice a week. But today I had no choice, I had to clean as much as I could so he got to watch more. And of course I feel horribly guilty over it. I feel like a really terrible mom letting my 8 month old baby watch so much TV. Anyways, got to go nurse and put the little guy to bed for the night (well, at least until he wakes up hungry again because that seems to be his thing to do now). We are crossing our fingers for a better day tomorrow.

No comments: